Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Weekly Recommendations, Week 23: Prickly Pear Cactus in Bloom

The prickly pears are now in bloom, and I highly recommend you check them out! At least that's the case here in Boise, Idaho. I'm not sure what the state of the prickly pears in your area is, or if you even have any, but here in southwestern Idaho they are blooming like mad. These pictures were taken at Idaho Botanical Garden, where you can see all kinds of things currently in bloom; however, if you get a chance to go there, make it a point to check out the prickly pears. They look amazing! Despite how foreboding they may appear with their spines and all, prickly pears are edible; although I have yet to try them. If you have any recipes or suggestions for eating them, I would love to hear about it. I will make it a point to eat some Opuntia this year for sure.   




No comments: